Lawyer-linguists (m/f): Council and Parliament
Join us as a lawyer-linguist and apply your legal background and language skills to help shape EU law for 500 million people. The Council of the European Union and the European Parliament in Brussels are looking to recruit lawyer-linguists with the following main languages: Finnish, French, Portuguese, Romanian or Slovak.
The work of a lawyer-linguist is complex and demanding, both in terms of quality, quantity and deadlines. You will be in contact with the different actors of the legislative process, for example Members of the European Parliament (MEPs), Commission departments and representatives of the Member States’ governments.
You will play a key role in the legislative procedure, giving advice on legal drafting and checking legislative texts in your main language for both linguistic and legal consistency with other language versions. You may also be required occasionally to translate short legal texts, particularly from English or French.
Working in your main language, you will need to revise complex legal texts from at least two other official EU languages, one of which must be English (choice of English, French or German for second language, English, French, German, Italian, Polish, or Spanish for third language). You will also need a suitable law degree in your main language.
Find out more about the role of the lawyer-linguists at the Council or the European Parliament.
Check out our sample tests to help you prepare for the selection procedure.
Are you ready to apply?
1. You must first read the terms and conditions in the notice of competition and the general rules governing open competitions.
2. Secondly you must confirm that you meet the eligibility criteria described in these documents (i.e. you are an EU citizen, with the necessary language skills, qualifications and experience).
3. Create your EPSO account if you do not already have one (see our FAQs and online application manual for guidance).
4. Tick the box below to confirm that you have followed steps 1 and 2 above.
5. Click on the ‘Apply now’ button.
6. Now you log into your EPSO account for access to the application form. The EPSO account is available in English, French and German.
7. Stay up-to-date on all future news about this selection procedure through: eu-careers.info
You can apply from: to18 November 2014, 12.00 (Brussels time).
Please log out from your EPSO account before you start your application.
You may not apply for more than one language.
I accept all terms & conditions and am eligible to apply for the FINNISH language.
I accept all terms & conditions and am eligible to apply for the FRENCH language.
I accept all terms & conditions and am eligible to apply for the PORTUGUESE language.
I accept all terms & conditions and am eligible to apply for the ROMANIAN language.
I accept all terms & conditions and am eligible to apply for the SLOVAK language.