SPANISH LANGUAGE ASSISTANT
- Value the importance of building strong relationships with students
- Be open-minded to different cultures and values
- B2 / C1 English level as the working language of the school is English
- A positive attitude
- Flexibility to work with different members of staff and follow their instructions with regards to planning
- Show initiative and work independently to build resources and materials that young people will engage with
- Good computer skills (Microsoft Office 365)
- Experience working with young people
- Ability to speak other languages
The British School of Brussels is a non-selective independent, fee-paying international school with 1,350 students from approximately 70 countries. The school offers a holistic curriculum which aspires to educate the whole child.
Students follow a British-based curriculum up to age 16. Post-16 they have a choice of three internationally recognised pre-university examination courses: English A Levels, International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or BTEC.
The main role of the post holder is to support the class teacher. They will work with Spanish as a Foreign Language Teachers in the Modern Languages Faculty of the school. The students are aged from 11 to 18 and some will be preparing for IB, A Level and IGCSE exams.
The postholder will:
- work with small groups to improve their speaking skills and build confidence orally
- work with students on a one-to-one basis to prepare them for oral examinations
- prepare fun and interactive resources for lessons or one-to-one sessions
- build good relationships with students in order to help them achieve their full potential
- assist with lunchtime clubs and activities, for example, conversation in Spanish, cultural club, short story club, etc.)
- support school language trips
- support the creation / updating of resources and displays
- undertake other supportive roles in the department and school
- What do we offer (in addition to the Erasmus Traineeship grant):
Student room in the school villa (including cleaning, internet, heating, water and electricity). The tenant will be asked for a deposit of 700€ at the beginning of the contract
- A bus pass for public transport
- Bicycle available
- 8€/day voucher to have lunch in the school cafeteria
- Flight costs for the initial trip to Belgium in October and for the return journey at the end of the placement. Additionally, two return trips to the home country during the school holidays for a maximum budget of € 300 per trip
Contact hours with students or classes minimum 20 hours/week. Also, preparation and planning time +/- 15 hours. Full time position of 37.5h/week in total.